Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Funny isn't always strong

It truly was a sad day in our pop-culture world, as the news began to break with the death of Robin Williams.


I have to think it will be one of those "I remember where I was when I heard the news" kind of moments in my life.

He was Mork. He was Oh Captain, My Captain, he was Mrs. Doubtfire, he was my favorite Genie, my Popeye, he was my Goooooood Morning Vietnammmmm!

He was so many funny roles in my life.

No, I didn't know him.
Yes, I still grieve the loss.

No, he didn't know me.
Yes, he still has a place of memories in my heart.

But, you know what struck me this morning, as I woke, and truly, it was the first thing on my mind...obviously, he had no idea.

His laughter filled so many with joy.
His comedic role took a hurt away from so many.

But, obviously he struggled inside himself.

Depression and suicide are both so very real.
And it hurts my heart to know that there is a place so dark, that you can't escape, and see the joy and smile that you put on someone else's face.

Not even for a brief moment.
For that moment...there was nothing happy enough, nothing strong enough, nothing funny enough.

It's truly so heartbreaking.

And, if I am honest with myself, I know I've been there. Maybe not *that* deep. Or maybe not *that* low. And truly, not *that* dark.

But I've been there. Somedays, it would seem easier to setup camp there.

You just never know what someone else is battling, struggling with, or thinking about.

Kind words are important.
Checking on your friends is important.
Not dismissing other people, is important.
Sharing the love of Jesus is important.

Smiles don't always equal happiness.
Public appearances don't always equal joy.
You can buy a lot of "things" but you can't buy enough to fill an empty, dark space.
Kindness is important.



Funny isn't always strong.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Some things you might like!!